23 September 2009

Rocked up to Parly

Back to Parly today for a quick tour and a computer training sess...ZZZzzzz....Yes, I'm even boring myself with that one.

True, learning about computer research certainly won't be the highlight of my internship, but it was entirely necessary. BONUS- I did take some pictures for all five of you. Hooray!

Before I get to the pictures, I am going to make you listen to the rest of my day. Scrolling down is not an option. I'll know who did it and you won't get any lollies.* side note: A Parly staffer has forbidden me from henceforth (or at least til 20 Dec) using the word 'candy.' I am only allowed to refer to them as lollies or sweets.* Either way, you won't get yours.

So I rocked up (way more fun, right?) to Parly just before 10 for a public tour and a meeting with the most job-loving librarian I have ever met. The tour was...helpful? I saw everything that he showed us last week, but he did give some interesting background info and let us take pics.

Did you know that the chandeliers in the lower chambers are from Scotland? Hm, me either. And during the 'festive' season, they throw some shrimp on the barbie out back near the Chook house for the MPs and staffers. Please someone invite me! And the upper house carpets are red because red represents royalty and the lower house carpets are green because green is for commoners. I'm not even green because I'm just a lowly intern.

After the group tour, my tour guide chatted me up (seriously. old people LOVE me.) about a trip to America he took back in '00. Started in LA (not impressed), then SD (loved it!), then Vegas (pathetic), then the Grand Canyon (big?), then back to LA.

*Insert story that I already posted on Sam's FB: Someone (god knows who!?!?) told him to take the bus to some flea market outside of LA. He got a bit anxious when some thugs with their gangsta bandanas rolled up- but they didn't mess with him because he was a foreigner.*

After the tour guide showed me the post office (uh, yeah, that's what I was thinking, too), I headed up to the library for my reeeeeally in depth tour of the computer research system (I won't bore you with this). Although incredibly helpful, I am the in-out-done sort of girl, not the let's-see-just-how-many-articles-on-mental-health-that-we-can-find-over-and-over-and-over-again-til-you-want-to-poke-your-eyeballs-out sort of girl.

After recovering from the training session, I had to catch the bus back to work (sad, I know). And that, folks, is basically where the story ends. Except for some nut job old lady on the bus screaming at the driver that he was the "most rude and unhelpful bus driver she has ever met." Poor bus driver. Dealing with old people is tough. I know, I have parents. ;) Just kidding Mom and Dad! Love you guys!

Stay tuned for my post this weekend! School party thing with Chris's Commerce Guild buddies(I'm referring to it as this- don't remember what they call themselves) and hopefully going to the 'bush' this weekend!

Though for all I know the world is coming to an end....orange skies in Sydney? It's not sand, it's doooooomsday.



The view from the back of Parly. That's the chook house on your left.


The Harry Potter Dungeon (otherwise known as Member of Parly office space)


That's me! Well, sort of.


Loving the color scheme.


Perhaps they'll loan this to me for Halloween?


Aw, the Library.


Home.


Lower house. I like to watch from above.


Upper house. The roped off chair is for Queenie.


The great hall (at least that's what I'm calling it).


Her majesty.


Shoe tying bench?


Parly entrance hall.


I work here (sort of).

I feel classy when I rock up to this place.
Well, there you go. I hope it was worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment